Marketing by the Numbers – 2020 Statistics
Luckily for businesses, there is now an ocean of data available to aid in strategic planning. Here are just a few selected highlights specific to key marketing trends.
- 70% of marketers are actively investing in content marketing. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- 24% of marketers plan on increasing their investment in content marketing in 2020. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Marketers today create content for multiple audience segments — marketing to three audience segments is most common. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Podcasts now reach over 100 million Americans every month. (Edison Research, 2020)
- 87% of video marketers say that video has increased traffic to their website. (Wyzowl, 2020)
- Video has become the most commonly used format in content marketing, overtaking blogs and infographics. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- [In the following order,] Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube lead the pack as the most common social media platforms used by marketers. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Twitter is among the top three social channels used by marketers with the highest ROI. (Statista, 2020)
- The number of global social media users is expected to reach almost 3.43 billion in 2023. (Statista, 2020)
- Across social channels, photo and imagery posts are the most widely-used content type to increase audience engagement. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- To improve site performance, the top technical SEO tactic used by marketers is optimizing mobile performance. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Mobile app-generated revenues are expected to reach $935.2B by 2023 . (Statista, 2020)
- As of 2020, Google’s search algorithms are trying to move beyond text to provide meaningful results across images, voice/podcasts, and videos. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Mobile advertising spend is estimated at 30.5% of global ad spend in 2020. (Zenith Advertising Expenditure Forecasts, 2020).
- The number of global e-mail users is set to grow to 4.48 billion users in 2024. (Statista, 2020)
- Over 20% of marketers surveyed say that email design is improving their email engagement. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Almost 30% of marketers surveyed use audience segmentation tactics to improve email engagement. (HubSpot, 2020)*
- Email automation campaigns are among the top three tactics used by email marketers to improve performance. (HubSpot, 2020)*
*HubSpot stats come from the HubSpot “Not Another State of Marketing” Report, 2020.